Monday, April 8, 2013

The Last Green Leaf

The Last Green Leaf

I look outside my window , at the old apple tree
It's leaves long gone , except for one hanging free
I turn over and silently sigh
Soon , I'll have to say goodbye
They say I won't last long
And I know they're not wrong
I'm not sad , I have no sorrow
When they say I won't be here tomorrow
After all , it's God who makes the calls
I'll go when the last leaf falls
There's a strong wind blowing from the river
The leaf shakes , I shiver
Everything's cold , I need a nap
From which I may never rise , I hear a twig snap
Before I go to my grave , the flowers and the wreath
I say this prayer with my last breath
I shut my eyes , I'll never wake
I pray to God my soul to take

Poem written at age 15 . No judging allowed. Was greatly tempted to change words and lines but I've retained the original. And no , I'm not a morbid person.

No comments:

Post a Comment